6.15.2011

Paige, is that ayurvedic?

My dear friend Matthew, who I work with, constantly questions the ayurvedic lifestyle that I am experimenting with. He is always behind me, asking if what I am putting into my body is ayurvedic. It's a torture method to get under my skin, but he does help remind me to ask myself that question... constantly. So, thank you Matthew, for your snide reminders :)  And, no ice cream is not very ayurvedic.

But! I love ice cream so so much. My mom and I would go out for ice cream all of the time. She is always reliable to have at least one flavor (sometimes four!) in the freezer. There is a great old fashioned soda fountain in South Pasadena that reminds me of my childhood. It is called the Fair Oaks Pharmacy. Malts, banana royales, Rickey's Phosphate, egg creams, burgers, fries, I was obsessed.
I came across another old fashioned soda fountain, Soda Jerks, that used to be in Pasadena, but now relocated to the Santa Monica Pier. I worked at their old location in high school, and my love for ice cream really became intense. I would make milkshakes for breakfast, literally. Soda Jerks serves Fosselman's Ice Cream, which in my opinion is the best.

Needless to say, I really love the whole idea of old fashioned soda shops. It reminds me of the scene in The Music Man, when Professor Hill and Marian are in the ice cream parlor. A movie that my father introduced to me as a child and remains one of my favorites.

Being in Colorado, I have learned that people do not seem to share this same infatuation for ice cream. There are some great places, don't get me wrong, but an old fashioned soda shop is hard to come by. Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went on a drive to the little town of Lyons, to try out their ice cream parlor. Lyons Soda Fountain & Bakery was delicious and well worth the drive. I had a strawberry ice cream soda, "Soda in the Hay" and my boyfriend, Matthew (different Matthew than above!) had a banana royale. We will definitely be returning. And, they have patty melts - one of my favorite pre-vegetarian meals.

There's Matthew and I in the mirror!

I made Matthew get Mallo Creme on his sundae - yum!!

I think it's safe to say that I am desperately missing California. So many of my posts relate back to my childhood and places I love in L.A. - mostly revolving around food, but it's where I fell in love with food!

No comments: