6.21.2011

Goodbye Spring.

Happy solstice! In honor of the summer solstice, I said a farewell to my beloved spring vegetables last night. Fava beans and english peas, goodbye.

After work on Saturday night, there was fresh pappardelle and trenette left over that I stocked up on. I went to the market the next day and bought about 3 pounds of favas, definitely leaving few for anyone else, sorry! I made the fava bean puree one last time and took it to my friend's birthday bbq. Big hit! I made sure to stash some favas for myself, so I could make my last spring veggie pasta of the season.

I don't cook with favas very often. This was actually the first season that I ever had - I was always intimidated by them. But whoa, they are definitely now one of my favorites. And, super easy, just need a lot of love and time to prepare. So, since I am new to the fava world, I decided to cook them very similar to how they are done for the puree. Except, I doubled the mis en place (but used half the olive oil), added shallot, used far less favas, and obviously, didn't puree them. And, I added yummy english peas!




I reserved about 3/4 cup pasta water and added it to the fava and pea mixture.
Garnished the dish with some Pecorino Ginepro. nom nom.

Now, it's time for lima beans...

No comments: