7.21.2011

This is what I have, so I will use it.

Since February, I have been looking for sandals for my dearest friend's wedding this August. The first pair that I had my eye on, was a beautiful wedge by Proenza Schouler. For a mere $800, they could have been mine. But, I held off, knowing that I could find something that I loved just as much and didn't cost me two months worth of groceries.
I have looked for countless hours online and in stores, for the perfect shoe, to go with my Zero + Maria Cornejo dress. From those hours, the months dragged on, and I have since then been put on a very tight budget (which, again, I cannot disclose what I am saving for quite yet). So, I thought of just wearing some great Joie sandals that I bought last year on sale. But, those sandals are worn, and I needed something a bit simpler. So, this morning, I was perusing Gilt, and I found a great, simple little flat sandal for $35 DOLLARS.

Then, I go on to read my horoscope:

There’s a simple principle for keeping your head above water, fiscally speaking, Earn more than you spend. Today’s cosmic influences shine a bright light on where you’ve been falling short of that ideal, and where you may need to trim back. For starters, it’s time to get real about the difference “luxury” and “necessity.” You don’t have to deprive yourself, but if you’ve got champagne tastes on a PBR budget, you need to either scale back a little or find a way to reel in more cash so you can afford the finer things that you crave.
This has been my biggest struggle/project/motto this summer: saving and living within my means.
Therefore, I have been eating out less, and trying to eat what I have bought from the grocery store, before it goes bad! I always buy tons of fruits and veggies, but by the time I get around to eating them, they've gone bad. So, I am letting myself buy a few fruits and veggies at a time, and I am not going to the grocery store, until I finish my perishables. We'll see how long this lasts, but it does mean getting a bit creative in the kitchen. Yesterday, for lunch I had a sammy with celery, buffalo mozzarella, dill, and mayo... I thought it was delicious and simple, just how I like my food. (Maybe not the healthiest thing, but I'll figure that out as time goes on.) 


And, this morning, I made a great smoothie with frozen blueberries and peaches, and a banana that was just  a bit too ripe to eat on it's own. 


I must say, that once I finally get the hang of saving my money, it is kind of fun, and a very rewarding feeling (and bank account). 

No comments: