7.26.2011

out in the open

You know how I have been desperately trying to save my money lately? Well, I have been doing a really good job, but not a great job. Unfortunately, in order to really really save and not be completely broke after I've put money away, I think I need to be a bit anti-social (when it comes to nightlife). I do not have an easy time going out with a friend for a drink and then going home. No, it usually turns into an escapade of emotions flowing over from one margarita to the next. Yes, I can go out and not drink, but it's just not as much fun! So, I will be spending my nights at home, drinking "Up All Night" - the most delicious chamomile tea blend from LAMILL, which just totally knocks you out. I should do an entire post just on LAMILL. They are incredible.
Anyway, I am finally ready and able to tell you all what I have been saving for (and by "you all" I mean my mother and my two friends who follow this blog): I am going to Bali. That's right. And I am going to complete my yoga teacher training, while I am there. Yes, yes I am! And right before I go to Bali, I am moving from the lovely little Boulder, CO, back to Los Angeles. Yeaaaah! 
Last week, I gave my notice to my boss, at Frasca Food and Wine, where I have spent the last two and a half years totally immersed in the world of fine dining, Italian wine and culture, and Friulian food. Frasca truly became my family, and it will be very difficult to leave them. But, I cannot express how excited I am for this new chapter.
In order to prepare for this training, the teacher suggests an 8-week detox, which includes cutting down a percentage each week of fatty foods, refined sugars, tobacco, alcohol, etc. And, replacing those with more greens, whole grains, etc. So, it will be quite similar to the cleanse I did a few months ago, but much longer and not so intense (I only say that since it's a gradual progression of cutting things out of your diet). I think this will be a great way to cut down on drinking and eating out. Also, smoking. What I am really excited about though is that the detox includes meditation everyday. For the first two weeks, I will cut out 25% of the "vices" and practice 10 minutes of meditation everyday, and progress from there. This is my little meditation setup:

I went to the grocery store today, got some fruits and veggies - only things that I needed to last me until I get paid again. I spent $30. I was estimating that I could do the shopping for $25, so I did pretty good.

I am also going to try and increase how often I do yoga. I am going to try for about 5 times a week. I would also like to go hiking! I have been saying that for months now, but I am actually going to do it. Just you wait and see.

No comments: