7.29.2011

A week ago, it would've been a different excuse

I have not been to yoga in three weeks! I took a week off, and one somehow turned into three. Oops! I think it is great though to give yourself a little time off from anything. Then, when you come back to it, you realize how much you love it (or in some cases, hate it).

This morning, I finally got my ass out of bed to go to my favorite yoga class. It's a "Silent Hot" class, which means that it is 26 poses, for an hour and a half.  The room is heated to about 104 degrees. (Very similar to traditional Bikram, but you cannot call it "Bikram Yoga" unless you are a certified teacher by Bikram himself and follow his specific 26 poses in sequence.) The class is "silent", because the instructor only cues the next pose; they do not describe each pose in depth. It is a super intense class, which really challenges you not only physically, but mentally, because the voice in your head is the only one you hear.

I woke up ten minutes early, so I could do my ten minutes of meditation before class. I have been doing this each morning, as a part of my 8-week detox. I forgot to change the hour on my alarm, so I was sitting there, and realized that it had been a pretty long time. I opened my eyes, looked at the clock, and had missed the bus to yoga!!!
You win some, you lose some: I did miss yoga this morning, but I did have one of my best meditations this week.

For someone who has always been intimidated by the thought of meditation, it is much "easier" than I thought. Sitting in silence, listening to your breathe, and trying to let your thoughts pass you by, for ten minutes! Very scary. But, I am enjoying it. We'll see if I'm saying the same thing in a few weeks, when I am up to 30 minutes a day.

No comments: