5.15.2011

Day 14

Last day of the cleanse.
Whoa. What a crazy two weeks. I have lots to catch you up on - not all today.

I think I am more nervous about ending my cleanse than I was starting it. I am very good at disciplining myself, so stopping the smoking and the drinking wasn't too much of a challenge, especially for just two weeks (well, I did allow myself to enjoy some wine a couple of the days. Okay, and a few drags of a cigarette.) But still, I did pretty damn good. But now, without a suggested daily regimen, I can do whatever I want. Scary. It's like going back to your home town and cramming in all of your favorite meals in three days. That's exactly what I don't want to happen tomorrow.

I am just hoping that I can implement a lot of what I learned about food and myself into my everyday. Like, eat your fruits and veggies! My skin looks amazing, I've lost weight (and not only weight, but inches), I have loads more energy, and my senses have totally heightened, especially sense of smell and eye sight. Obviously. If I'm eating what nature provides, what we are supposed to eat, I would hope to feel better.

The people who decided to do this cleanse are all amazing women, and it was such a pleasure to feel a connection with these people, based on taking care of ourselves and wanting something more out of our food.

This cleanse also opened my eyes to the world of raw foods. I have always been pretty good about eating whole foods, but the raw food aisle, I steered clear from. I kept the thought of "eating raw" on the same lines as de-caff coffee and the gluten-free mania. And yes, some of it is not good, and almost all of it is over-priced. But these "snackaroons" are out of control good. Check out Laughing Giraffe; if you live in Boulder, CO, all the grocery stores have a raw food section, but you can order these online too. BUT, this also makes you think how easy it is to make yummy raw food snacks at home. Most of the time, you just throw the ingredients in a food processor.
I am obviously not going to eat raw all the time. So, on to my new favorite meal.

Lettuce Wraps. 

Grab your favorite veggies and fruits, I used:

purple and green cabbage
cucumber
celery
red bell pepper
fresh english peas
green onion
avocado
carrots
champagne mango
arugula
basil
lime juice
iceberg lettuce for the wrap
Chop the fruits and veggies, and put in a large bowl.

dressing:
sesame oil
fresh ginger
fresh garlic
apple juice
rice wine vinegar
sesame seeds
raw honey
salt
pepper
I have no idea how much of each ingredient I added, sorry! Just play around.

chicken:
For the cleanse, I couldn't use any soy products, but a good teriyaki or soy sauce marinade might be fun.
boneless, skinless chicken breast
coconut oil (my new favorite ingredient.)
raw tahini
unsweetened coconut chips, chopped
garlic
fresh ginger
lemon juice
salt

If you put the marinade in the fridge, the tahini and coconut oil get too hard, so I kept the chicken in the marinade at room temperature, for about an hour.


You can make loads of this, and it will stay fresh for a few days. Be sure to keep the veggies/fruit undressed and sealed in the fridge, the dressing in its own container. If you do this, make sure you don't cut the avocado until right before you dress the salad.

No comments: