5.31.2011

A really great thing that I have started doing again, with the cleanse inspiration, is cooking.

I have always loved spending time in the kitchen. But for some reason, when I moved into my little studio apartment and upped my hours working in a restaurant, the thought of cooking in close quarters was exhausting. I started spending way too much money eating out. So, thank you cleanse, for getting me back in my kitchen. And, loving it.

One of my favorite cookbooks is "Sunday Suppers at Lucques" by Suzanne Goin. I think that Suzanne is arguably the best chef in Los Angeles. My mother and I had the pleasure of going to Lucques a few years ago and having a Sunday supper there. What an absolute joy, just a lovely place, with great seasonal, local food. Tavern is fantastic too. Well, all of her restaurants are, so next time you're in LA, test them out.

I made her fava bean spread, with feta and olive cured olives. So delicious. Fava beans are one of those things that you just have to snatch up as many as possible anytime you see them. Their short season makes them that much more special. A lot of times, I see them on menus, with someone using them because they're now a cult food. But, their taste is never really captured. You can't have too much going on in a dish with favas, or else you have no idea what they taste like. Suzanne's recipe makes you understand and appreciate this beautiful little bean. Instead of a baguette, I got my favorite naturally leavened bread. And, I kept the left over spread for days in the fridge, and just snacked on it, like I usually do with hummus. Get a great springy, bright white to go along.

No comments: