8.13.2012

Day One.

The cleanse officially starts today. I have been "pre-cleansing" for the past five days, slowly cutting things, like alcohol, refined sugar, caffeine, gluten, and dairy, out of my diet. Already, I feel a huge difference: my eye-sight has become more vivid; my sense of smell has heightened; I have more energy and mental clarity. I am always astounded by the power in eating simply what nature provides for us. When I did this cleanse last year, it completely changed me. It greatly influenced the way in which I eat and look at food. Eating this "clean," allows room for you to look much deeper at yourself: I realized that I wasn't happy anymore in Boulder, I wanted to quit my job, and go to Bali to learn more about yoga.

In wanting to study the human relationship with food, across different cultures, I think it's crucial that I start with my own relationship with it. For me, this cleanse isn't about losing weight (obviously, that's a plus) or restricting my diet; it's about listening to myself and seeing how vibrant my life can be. Food can either give me energy and bring happiness or can make me depressed and sluggish. So, how do different foods affect me? I've said it before, but I have always had a love/hate relationship with food, and I believe so many others have. I think food can be a huge root to our suffering but also to our success.

Our bodies spend 80% of our energy on digestion alone. So, if we can make the digestive process easier on ourselves, by eating more whole foods and less processed items, don't you think that will leave us with more energy? Not only more energy, but it creates space within ourselves, and space leaves room for growth. "Creating space" was one of the biggest things I learned in Bali last year. I will touch on it more soon.

Check out Conscious Cleanse.

No comments: